Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Homeschool?!?!

I have Peppermint & Lavender in the diffuser and have applied GeneYus to N's wrists and back of neck. Why you ask? Because this task require a calm environment and focused children. Add a calm and focused mom to that too! GeneYus is like a miracle blend. N goes from bouncing off the walls to only bouncing in place in a matter of minutes. The awesome thing is, when I grab the bottle, he knows to grab his pencil because it's time to work. He even asks for it when knows he needs to focus on one thing. It's really cool that he so aware of how his brain and body work and knows what he needs to do to get his tasks done.

We're doing it. I am homeschooling my children. The decision was not an easy one but necessary. We made our first move for the year and are quickly approaching the next one. It could be in 3 months or in 5. Either way, it's coming. For this reason, I felt it would be best to have the minions home with me. Two schools in less that a year is a lot for anyone to handle, especially when tiny h e double hockey sticks, aka middle school, is in the equation. Those are the exact words my son used back in April to describe his 6th grade year. All I could respond with was "I know, it's terrible".

When I first mentioned it to my other half, he just stared at me. I mentioned it again a few days later an he grumbled "Babe! All the kids I knew growing up that were homeschooled were so weird." Well, most of the people we know as adults are really weird. I don't understand what people's natural weirdness has to do with me wanting to homeschool our children. Again, he just stared at me.

After chatting with several amazing teachers, that I miss and love so much, and with a dear friend that has been homeschooling for a few years, I felt comfortable with decision to do it! My hubbs, on the other hand, was going to take some convincing. Once I started really researching curricula and telling him about how cool all the stuff was, he slowly started to come around. One year is the plan for now but I have a feeling it's going to be a bit longer than that! Baby steps.

We started out this school year with U.S. History. I will add a new subject every two weeks until we have all that we need. Science is next! B jumped right in and quickly discovered that his study skill are lacking. N is going to take some time to figure out what is going to work best. I am going to purchase a small exercise ball for him to sit on while we read. This way he can bounce and fidget while we do what needs to be done. Between our essential oils and this, I think we are headed in the right direction. For now, allowing him to wiggle around on the floor seems to be working fine. I am excited to see all the the boys learn and accomplish this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment