Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Start to an Oily Journey

If you know me well, you know that quite a few years back I thought the whole organic foods and essential oils thing was silly. Like to the point that I would tell my sister she was a little kooky. Well, after she put me in my place (I mean that sarcastically, kinda) I did a lot of research. My big seester shared what information she has come across. She definitely has become a wealth of knowledge about processed foods, food dyes, and even medications over the years. Needless to say, after all the info she shared and what I read myself, I slowly began to transition over to organic foods. I purchase as much as we can comfortably afford. With my lifestyle change in process, I think that there will be more organic/clean foods coming into our home in the near future.

Now onto the oils. My sister has used essential oils for YEARS. Years! She loves the scents. She would kind of randomly talk about an oil. To be honest, I never really paid too much attention. I probably thought it was just another weird thing my sister did. Haha! I promise I love my sister dearly. We are 11 years apart in age. We have very different ideas on life and that's OK :) 

Savannah, a very good friend of mine, told me about Young Living Essential Oils. I looked into their products and thought they looked nice and all but I'm not really into the whole oil thing. Over the course of the next few weeks, ALL she would talk about it these oils. Oh my word, she is losing her mind ;) I like to think that I have become a pretty open mined individual but she was fallin' off her rocker! Savannah wanted to visit and share everything she had learn about the oils. I love her. So, I said alright :) It never hurts to just sit down and listen. You never know what new knowledge you could walk away with. 

Bottles and bottles everywhere! It really wasn't that many. Maybe like 12 or so. Peppermint was up first. I am a lover of peppermint. I love the smell and cool feeling you get in your nose and airways when you inhale it. I opened the bottle and took a big whiff. Holy cow! It smelled soooooooo good. It's peppermint though. Peppermint always smell good. We went through each bottle and I got a brief explanation of what each oil was good for or how it could be used. I wondered if there was anything I could use for thyroid health. I found success with certain supplements I was taking, but I have two tumors on my gland and anything extra to help, I am willing to try. Plus, I still wasn't feeling just right. I'll share that story in a later post. I was also looking for something that might help my husband's cholesterol. He's a bag of bones! Seriously! Family history is not in favor of his health though. I did some poking around and found that lemongrass has been proven to help lower cholesterol! Awesome! 

Question. What make Young Living Essential Oils so much better than other oils?  Seed to Seal. Pretty simple. Young Living is involved in EVERY STEP of the process. You can read more about Seed to Seal here https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/discover/quality. There are several of essential oil companies out there. The only company that offers 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils on the market is Young Living. Do all the the research you want. I did and I found that this company's product would be worth a try for me. If I didn't like it, I didn't like. No big deal. I ordered a few oils.


I knew, like with OTC meds and prescriptions, it can take a few uses to notice any kind of difference. I started with EndoFlex, for my thyroid. I rubbed the oil on my thyroid twice daily and on my vita flex points on my feet. Within a week, my family saw a noticeable change in my attitude. If you are not aware of how thyroid disorders can make you go a little nutty, please read up on them. Within two weeks, I felt like I found what was missing. My last thyroid check, NORMAL! Let me repeat that, NORMAL! I haven't had normal thyroid levels in a long time. Praise God! I got that health issue under control. My husband goes for his 6 month cholesterol check in a few weeks and I'll let y'all know how that turns out. The most awesome thing about lemongrass, it's an anti-inflammatory! How cool is that?!?! Sore muscles? Slept wrong and your neck is hurts? Lather on some lemongrass. It really helps. The hubs has some issues with his shoulder and lemongrass layered with a few other oils (including peppermint) has made a huge difference for him. The peppermint smells amazing. It helps with headaches when I get them. The boys love when I diffuse peppermint. It's a just a nice, fresh, minty scent. It is also helpful in soothing bruises and sore muscles.

Last section, I promise. After two weeks of using these oils, I took the plunge and ordered myself a Young Living Kit. The kit includes the Everyday Oil Collection, a diffuser, and some product sample. It it worth every penny, in my opinion. My sister's response to all of this? In so many word "Duh Colleen! I've been using essential oils for years." She is now a Young Living users as well! Yay! I want to share everything I've learned about these oils with y'all! Question? Concerns? Want to try this awesomeness for yourself? Let me know! May your day be full of love, joy, and maybe cupcakes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment